Frank Parker's author site

Home » UK politics » Saturday Sound Off – Immigrants are not the Problem, Politicians Are.

Saturday Sound Off – Immigrants are not the Problem, Politicians Are.

IASD Website

A great site for Indie authors

Archives

Download free preview

Blog Surfer

Advertisements

Today I’m linking to a post on Sally Cronin’s blog. Sally mostly posts about writerly things – she is one of the most helpful of people when it comes to supporting writers with reviews, interviews and guest posts. She also runs a health column (she is a nutritionist by profession), a gardening column and writes regularly abut music. But this  week a particular piece of news that certainly incensed me also drove her to write a long and well argued piece about immigration and racism. Since I certainly could not have put it any better, I am happy to refer you instead to her piece.

I will add only my thoughts on the latest developments in the scandal: How can a Home Secretary on top of her job not have read an important memo? How can she not have been properly briefed before she came to the House of Commons to apologise still claiming that there were no official quotas for the removal of immigrants.

And now it emerges that a plan to engage post graduate medical students from India as temporary staff in the NHS has been scuppered because the quota for the issue of such visas has been reached. It’s all part of our so called leaders’ fetish for following those who voice their opinions the loudest when they should be countering with arguments about the benefits that freedom of movement brings.

Advertisements

13 Comments

1. Many thanks for sharing Frank.. much appreciated and I echo your sentiments about those posing as ministers. Most of whom have little qualifications for that role but are moved into it through favouritism, political expediency and to fill gender quotas. I better leave now in case I stay all day! thanks again.

Liked by 2 people

2. Wow Sally this one certainly triggered your anger. And I’m with you every step
    step of the way. Brilliant article.

Liked by 4 people

3. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Thanks to Frank Parker for his shout out for The Windrush Scandal post this week and add his own views on the subject.

Liked by 2 people

4. Thanks for sharing Sally Cronin’s post. The injustices of the Windrush Scandal has mobilized the Caribbean Community, member nations of the British Commonwealth. What Cronin’s article makes clear is that other immigrant communities may also suffer the same fate.

Liked by 3 people

5. Janice Wald says:

I am a huge fan of Sally’s. I consider her a friend. She’s been very kind to me. I am glad you are featuring her here.
    Janice

Liked by 2 people

6. Once again it shows how politicians try to cover up their mistakes with lies and hope they don’t get found out.

Liked by 3 people

7. Phil Huston says:

“One of the advantages of the world wide web is that it is far more difficult to sweep issues under the carpet.” I would counter that with the inverse. It is also much easier to “spin” embarassing information, throw some “conspiracy crackpot” mud and boil the whole thing down to a social media factionalized name calling spree that will outlast the ability of most attention spans to recall what the ruckus was about in the first place. “Oh, immigration? that bin over there. Shake it when you walk by, would you? No, no. Inapproriate funds are over in the corner with shameless greed. Anybody seen Harry and Trump in a topless bar together lately? Photoshop it, make it so. Next scandal, please?”

Liked by 2 people

• franklparker says:

It’s also far too easy to propagate false information and conspiracy theories.

Liked by 2 people

• Sha'Tara says:

Used to be the prerogative of the rich and powerful to disseminate false information and propaganda to demonize the enemy or slander the competitor. Then came the age of the Internet and lo and behold, the “swots” discovered they could do it for free, and in spades. IMO, the problem isn’t the Internet but type of behaviour that believes it elevates itself when it drags down another.

Liked by 2 people