Frank Parker's author site

Home » World Affairs » How Volunteers Respond to Disasters #WATWB

How Volunteers Respond to Disasters #WATWB

IASD Website

A great site for Indie authors

Archives

Download free preview

Blog Surfer

Advertisements

watwic-bright-tuqblkThis month I’m linking to a post from a blogger in her seventies who participates in a voluntary project rebuilding homes for people who lost everything as a consequence of wild fires. I’m also linking to regional newspaper coverage of the project.

It is heartening to know that there are people of all ages and all religions (and none) working to help people whose lives have been devastated by natural disasters. With that in mind, I think it worth pointing out that Irish men and women have been helping in Haiti since the earthquake there several years ago whilst others make annual trips to South Africa to build homes and schools for families in that country’s poorest townships.

Have you got a good news story to share with the world? Here’s how to join in:

1. Keep your post to Below 500 words, as much as possible.

2. Link to a human news story on your blog, one that shows love, humanity, and brotherhood. Paste in an excerpt and tell us why it touched you. The Link is important, because it actually makes us look through news to find the positive ones to post.

3. No story is too big or small, as long as it Goes Beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.

Place the WE ARE THE WORLD badge or banner on your Post and your Sidebar. Some of you have already done so, this is just a gentle reminder for the others.

5. Help us spread the word on social media. Feel free to tweet, share using the #WATWB hashtag to help us trend!

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

Simon Falk, Andrea Michaels, Shilpa Garg, Sylvia Stein, Belinda Witzenhausen.

Advertisements

7 Comments

1. Sha'Tara says:

Again, thanks for this mention, Frank. mY 4 weeks are up as of tomorrow and heading back home, but despite my resolve this would be my lasts one, it looks like I’ll be doing more. These 4 houses are now a guaranteed finish before winter, so that’s it for Williams Lake. The next big project is going to be in a place called Grand Forks in south central British Columbia. There was a devastating flood there a couple of months ago, and the discussion is whether the government will help in relocating the new homes out of the flood plain unto higher grounds. I leave that to the planners. Personally it’s a mental struggle between doing what I know is right and putting up with the religion. I think I can put up if I focus on my reason for doing this. Thanks again, Frank.

Liked by 2 people

• franklparker says:

My pleasure – and it’s obvious that those people either don’t let their religion get in the way, or their religion really does inspire them to do good works!

• Sha'Tara says:

You’re right about that. Although among themselves they do much praying and giving god credit for everything, when it comes to giving and doing, their religion is actually a plus since most of the resources relied on must come from church donations. For a non-believer it is difficult to work inside but once on the job, we all have but one thing in mind: getting homes back for those who lost them through no fault of their own. It’s a good thing that and why I participate. Perhaps their acceptance of me speaks volumes in that the gap between non-believers and believers need not be as unbridgeable as some make it out to be when we focus on the need.

Liked by 1 person

2. Léa says:

An excellent post. Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

3. It is always the quiet ones, working away without fanfare, that make all the difference. I’ve been volunteering online in the past weeks, and was blown away by the unsung heroism of my team mates.

Liked by 1 person

4. franklparker says:

Yes – I saw your post. The hard work and networking involved was inspiring.

5. hilarymb says:

Hi Frank – I think it’s wonderful how people get up and go to volunteer around the world at various ‘projects’ (Needs) … helping in war, poor and disaster areas – I have great admiration for them. Thanks for highlighting for us – cheers Hilary

Liked by 1 person